University of Mumbai, to which it is affiliated, by 25 years. Located forex training course in mumbai tv Mumbai’s Girgaum Chowpatty, the college building was constructed in 1889 and designed by John Adams in the domestic Victorian Gothic style. It is listed as a Grade III heritage structure in the city. The Wilson College was founded by the Indian missionary Rev.
Beginning as Ambroli English School in Girgaum, Mumbai, it later saw several changes of sites and names, eventually being called the Wilson School. Soon after their arrival in Mumbai in February 1829, Wilson and his wife Margaret Wilson began studying the local Marathi language. Margaret started a school for girls in 1829 at Ambroli House in Girgaum at Mumbai, with Marathi being the chief medium of instruction and learning. An English boarding school was opened in 1832, which later became the St. The Ambroli English School is the direct forerunner of the present college. On 14 December 1861, the collegiate section of Wilson’s institution under the name of Free General Assembly’s Institution became the first privately owned, non-government institution to be affiliated to the university. In 1952, the management of the college came under an autonomous Board of Governors in India.
Since 1963, the college functions under the management of John Wilson Education Society. The students of Wilson College are from nearly every ethnic, religious and social group, of the country as well as of the world. Wilson in 1875, Rev Dr Dugald Mackichan served as a successor, having already served the college for six months at the time of Wilson’s death. Nine years later, Mackichan became principal and held the position until 1920, becoming one of the most distinguished principals of the college. The Postal Department, Government of India honored its founder and the institution by issuing a Special Day Postal Cover in 2004. In 2007 to commemorate the completion of its 175 years, a stamp and first day cover of Wilson College was issued. Wilson College Literary Society with the first issue appearing in 1909.
The names of the editors do not appear until 1933. The Wilsonian was published twice a year from 1909 until 1944, when it was decided to publish it only once a year. The Wilsonian has been an annual publication ever since. The building is noted for its large first-floor classrooms with interesting teakwood trusses. These classrooms are protected by deep verandahs, which overlook the Girgaum Chowpatty beach and are protected by the Mangalore tiled roof. The arched veranda with its segmental sandstone arches on the ground floor forms one of the common features of the building. The deep over-hanging verandahs on the west façade facing the sea form a buffer between the classrooms and the exteriors.
They bear the brunt of the heavy rains and the sunlight. As seen in most of the buildings in that period, Minton tiles have been used for the college verandah flooring. The main staircase area has some excellent mosaic tile decoration with floral motifs. The use of red terracotta tiles in the first floor and the second floor makes the floor look different and these are in a relatively good condition. Many original teakwood doors and windows still exist in the College. The entrance lobby with its grand staircase is one of the features in all the buildings designed by John Adams. The grand timber staircase with the multi-foil circular panel design in the handrail is another feature extensively used by John Adams in his design.
The classrooms have been designed north-south opening into the west verandah. They have ample windows for ventilation and natural light. The library with its teakwood mezzanines and catwalks is one of the best-maintained areas in the college. The teakwood mezzanines are the extra reading and storage areas in the library the library furniture has been designs keeping in mind the exact space provision for the storage. The library is divided into bays, which are partitioned with the storage cupboards. The assembly hall is designed with two level balconies, which were designed to accommodate an orchestra for important functions.
The teakwood balcony is supported on the teakwood decorative brackets. There is a multi-foil circular stained glass window with the college crest on it. An over head view of the white marble courtyard Fountain in the college interiors. The chapel is placed in the north-west corner of the building. The central nave with its arches and the columns has been designed with good acoustics. Each bay of the nave and the side isle has the original lamp fittings illuminating the chapel.
The white marble courtyard fountain is renaissance revival fountain based on one of the famous designs of the famous Italian sculptor Gianlo Renzo Bernini. The fountain is a 3-piece sculptor and is a garden ornament fountain, an order from the catalogue, which was a typical feature in the 19th century. The sculpture depicts the scroll motifs and the long tresses of hair representing the water and river sea nymphs. Fish motifs can also be seen in the hands of the sea nymphs. The Wilson College Library was established in 1832. At present it holds approximately 73,000 books and has a staff of eleven members.
To help the students find the books easily, the library is equipped with a computer which contains information about the location of books. Students can find the books if they enter the name of the author, the book or the theme. The library can accommodate more than 100 students at a time. The Reference Section extends to the old hall and contains a wide range of books such as encyclopedias, world books, dictionaries, thesaurus, competitive exam digests, books on history, etc. The library has taken annual membership with N LIST to access E-resources. English Dictionary-1829, Madras Christian College Magazine 1890-91, The Holy Bible -1610 A. A Sanskrit-English Dictionary by Monier Williams-1872 and Dictionary of English Language-VOL.